Seoul Obsession


Less than a year ago, I was alien to all things Korean. "Korean what?" was my reaction the first time I heard of Korean dramas from a friend. I mean, who the heck would be interested in Korean dramas when there are so many great American shows? But the boys were cute(no, they don't all look the same and they most definitely don't look like girls!), so I decided to give it a try. And it got me hooked instantly. Watching dramas led me to watch movies and listen to their music. They’ve made me curious about a lot of stuff, and I've fallen in love with Korean culture. It's become a serious hobby and really, I think it makes me happy.

Did you know that South Korean drama(or K-drama) is banned in North Korea? I came across this article the other day about North Korea allegedly executing citizens who smuggled in and watched Korean dramas. Poor North Koreans, who could blame them? K-dramas are absolutely adorable and incredibly addictive!

Spread of Korean culture in India: Apparently, the northeast was one of the first regions to take to the Korean wave way back in 2000 when there was a blanket ban on Hindi channels and the cable operators started airing Korean shows. I'm eternally grateful to whoever imposed the ban. 
The Korean entertainment industry is brimming with beautiful boys and girls who are amazing actors or singers or both; you can never get enough of them!

Beginner's guide to K-drama: Just because it's a "drama" doesn't mean it's all sappy romance. There are rom-coms, thrillers, and plenty of shows with a heavy focus on fantasy, action, and even horror. There's something for everyone.
Upside to K-dramas: The length. Most dramas have only 15-25 episodes; you don't have to wait season after season to know how it's going to end. And the best part: if you loved the show, you can watch it again. Can you imagine rewatching all the seasons of Friends? 
Read more on my next post: Dramaland

Tidbit: All South Korean males, aged between 18 and 35, have mandatory military service stated as one of the Four Constitutional Duties.

My favourite K-hottie, Hyun Bin, in uniform.


Comments

Popular Posts

Wedding Diaries: The Engagement

Wedding Diaries: D-day

Almost There: My Pregnancy Experience

Childhood

Bucket List